Monday, August 20, 2012

A FIRST!

Last May 2011, my family, aunt, cousin and I visited Hong Kong and Macau. It was my first time to ride an airplane so you can just imagine how excited I was. When I stepped out of the plane, I don't know why, but the feel of the air really seemed different. I can totally tell I wasn't in the Philippines for the very first time in my life! Don't get me wrong, I love the Philippines but it's good to travel out of it sometimes.

It was already late at night when we arrived so all we did was settle down at our hostel and eat some Hong Kong dinner but the next day...

Voila! The architecture is as I expected...superb! (Sorry I wasn't able to capture everything in film 'cause I wasn't a blogger yet and we don't have much time but as you can see, even before, I already love taking photos, especially those I can use as design inspirations.) 

As we walk along the Salisabury Road in Kowloon, we saw the Hong Kong Cultural Center, Hong Kong Space Museum, 1881 Heritage, Hong Kong Museum of Art and The Peninsula Hotel.

The big dome peeking from a bunch of trees



I did a little research about Hong Kong Space Museum. It caters all the necessary knowledge one has to know about astronomy and science. Stanley Ho space theater, Hall of Astronomy, gift shops and offices are few of its major facilities found inside the building. One would really notice the dome-shaped planetarium of the museum. This one could be classified as a geodesic dome. Its framework mainly formed from a polyhedron pattern. (Trivia: We actually did a Calculus project involving geodesic domes that's why I know a little about it.)  If you have seen it closely, (I'm not sure) its walls were likely tiled glass with laminates.

The design seems also asymmetrical, having different shapes assembled in a single building.



Adjacent to the museum is the Hong Kong Cultural Center. This seemed to be the counterpart of Metropolitan Theater in Manila (still hoping it exists today). Well, at least we had the CCP (Cultural Center of the Philippines) to facilitate theatrical and cultural performances. The glass feature built at different heights at the front of the cultural center resembles a pipe organ, seemed to be symbolical since the theater houses the 8000-pipe pipe organ which was the largest in Asia.  


The Peninsula Hotel is one of the five-star hotels in Hong Kong. The hotel's features seemed to be inspired from the American Baroque era. It somehow resembles a building in Manila. I just can't remember its name.



This is part of the 1881 Heritage, formerly known as the Former Marine Police Headquarters. From being a police compound, it has been converted to a shopping complex. Luxury brands like Chanel, Prada and designers like Vivienne Tam could be find inside the area. What really captured my attention is this buddhist symbol at the center. You would not get surprised since most of their population were Buddhists and Taoists. 


This is the view opposite the 1881 Heritage. Won't you just love to capture this shot?

Hong Kong is small but it's one country to be proud of. One reason would be its contribution to architecture. The city is well-planned and most of its monumental structures and building features reflects its culture. 


Here's a shot we had during the trip. :)

11 comments:

  1. great photos ! these buildings look just amazing ! ...would You like to follow each other Dear ? just let me know :)


    have a great weekend ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely photos!!! I am a new follower of your blog! would u like to follow me back on gfc? I would be very happy! Giulia
    thefashionmamas.cm

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic, love the pictures!

    kisses doll

    http://thefashion-bombshell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi dear thanks for the lovely comment!
    I love these photos! and following you back <3

    The Green Raybans
    http://thegreenraybans.blogspot.com
    Twitter: Green_Raybans98
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Green-Raybans/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great style! Following you now! Kisses!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...